Thursday, September 4, 2008

1st Nephi Chapter 1

What do we know about Nephi? Nephi was a scholar, a great hunter, a blacksmith, a shipbuilder, a navigator , a goldsmith, a record keeper, a refugee, a temple builder, a king, a warrior, a prophet, and a seer. Do you think a man with that kind of experience could teach us something about life?
I'm really excited, because I am going to start the book of mormon over again, and hopefully be able to study each chapter, for at least 20 minutes a day. Because I sit down at the computer every day, this I should be able to accomplish. Today, I read chapter one, and of course this is probably the most familiar verse to me(mostly because I start to read the B of M a lot:)). The verses that stuck out to me are: Verse 6 .........and because of the things which he saw and heard he did quake and tremble exceedingly. The reason this stuck out to me, is because I have had this feeling. I think everyone has, but sometimes we don't want to recognize it, or want to ignore it, but I very much had this feeling yesterday, when I was hit with the realization, that we are in a war against satan, and as long as I'm awake, I am going to make him wish I were asleep. How often do we sleep walk through this life. We are so caught up in the materialist things of this world that have no value in the eyes of our Lord. I don't want to be called a hypocrite, because there are things that I love that are definitely considered materialistic, but I hope and pray that they will not become who I am as a daughter of god. My kids need me to suit them up for a war in their armor, these are the latter days. verse 12 says: And it came to pass that as he read, he was filled with the Spirit of the Lord. We know when we are feeling the spirit of the Lord, and do we feel him as much as we need too?
verse 20......I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance. Because I have been so aware of the trials that I have seen my dear family and friends and myself go through I know this to be true. The Lord knows we have our agency, but he also loves us, and although we are not always doing what we know we should, he shows us his tender mercies because we believe he is there, we have the faith that is all he asks of us is that we prove to him that we know he is there, and we try each and every day to become more like him.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Thanks for sharing your strong testimony. Satan will wish you were asleep. I love your idea with this blog. Since Wyatt's death the realization of Satan has been even more evident to me. I feel he knows that this is a hard thing and he is going to try is might to discourge me and make me question things. It's hard somedays to not get discouraged but that's when I have to fight my hardest against him. He will not conquer! Reading the scriptures, words from our leaders and peaceful church music usually helps me. Thanks Leanne for sharing your insights and testimony. I truly believe Heavenly Father gives us sweet tender mercies and I'm so grateful he has brought you into my life because you are one of those tender mercies. This blog will be a lasting heritage to your kids. They will know that their mom has a firm testimony of those things that are of most importance. What a wonderful gift for them. You are wonderful Leanne!

Anonymous said...

Great Blog!!! Powerful testimony. President Welch said in our stake meeting tonight that in this high tech fast paced world now that 4 minuet miles are not good enough. It used to be that just 5 years ago, but now even in the athletic world standards have risen and we must raise our standards and protect our children and grand children, we can't turn our heads for even a second. 4 min miles just don't cut it today!!!! Good job, you really understand the seriousness of getting involved and standing for the right. But it is my firm testimony that the Lord will be on our side just as long as we keep the commandments, but don't expect his help if we don't, and we do need his help, we cannot expect to do it alone.

Anonymous said...

I spelled minute wrong, it is not minuet. sorry